Saturday 16 June 2012

Lins Cuscani Interview


I first met Lins back in the 90’s. He was a regular at shows and I used to see him usually at festivals which were held at the 1 in 12 Club in Bradford along with the rest of the Sunderland crew. He’s been in a bunch of bands and is still involved in the scene. He’s also a die hard record collector and does possess some very nice items. This is an interview from War against peace #2. Read on.

1) First up Lins, how the hell are you? What have you been up to today?

I’m good my man, Today I’ve been mostly answering this interview and listening to the new Integrity Lp – The Blackest Curse. I am now finishing this int off whilst watching Big Brother and plotting David Camerons untimely assassination!

2) How did you discover hardcore and what keeps you motivated?

I discovered hardcore properly around 1986 after years of being a metal head. It’s kinda weird how it happened. I was record shopping at Volume Records for the latest thrash metal Lp that I was interested (can’t recall which one) and came across a new releases 7” bin. After browsing through it I noticed an ep by a band called Neighbourhood Watch (Canadian) at a bargain price and that had a rad cover so decided to investigate further. Having asked a multitude of inane questions to the store staff I decided to buy it. I’d had brief flirtations through my thrash metal days with hardcore bands thanks to the likes of Metallica and others that used to sport t’shirts or stickers with these mystical hardcore bands logos on. Anyway that was pretty much my first official hardcore record buy and my first real experience of seeing a hardcore band live was seeing the Cro-Mags at Leeds Xmas on Earth festival in 1987. Funnily enough they weren’t meant to play but due to Voivod having difficulties getting into the country they were put on as last minute replacements. They totally blew my mind and perception of live music in general. I knew from that moment that hardcore music was where I wanted to be at.

3) Give us a list of all the bands that you’ve been in and break it down with each band and what they meant to you and any funny stories ?

From the start:

XDisciplineX – 1988 – 89 – really BAD, we had 2 songs and about 3 terrible covers including “You’re no friend of mine” by Slapshot. Trust me after we played we had NO friends! This band meant a lot because it was the start of my hardcore punk band experience!

Kickback – 1989 – 91 – We sounded like Warzone, recorded a demo which was recorded with guitars going straight thru the soundboard and making them sound like bloody trumpets! Played with the Jailcell Recipes and Sick Of It All’s very first UK gig! Basically I would have to travel to Sunderland every Saturday morning to practice and them come back through at midday so I could go to Newcastles match! Suffice to say I had a few hairy moments trying to hide my Newcastle shirt whilst walking through Sunderland City Centre! This was a fun band to do for a young Lins!

Last in Line – 1993 – 1994 – Basically Kickback with a different name and a couple of different band members. We had to change our name due to French Kickback threatening to sue our asses off! Played with SOIA again on their second UK tour! Recorded fuck all!!!

Vengeance of Gaia – 1995 – 1997 – Earth Crisis and Veganism where all the rage, and there was not a snowball in hells chance of me forming a Mouthpiece style band so I agreed to sing in this erm Vegan, SXE Metal core band. Recorded a demo and played with the MISFITS!!Bradford Rios!!! Where we got shit off the crowd for being sxe and vegan!!! Nice! I enjoyed our vegan kinship for a short while however I’m a flake and couldn’t keep it up!




Thirty Seconds Until Armageddon – 1997 – 2002 – Influenced allegedly by Converge and early Cave In. and played quite a few gigs up and down the country, with the likes of erm Converge, Botch, Dragbody, Poison The Well, Eyehategod and others. Played Twice at Goodlife Festivals in Belgium and once shared a van with a band that had Frank Turner in them before he turned into an acoustic superstar! Funny story would be me driving back to the UK after our second Euro jaunt with a speedometer that didn’t work and stopping in Leeds city centre so that Karl (Guitarist) could take a leak. He tried to jump through the open van side door, I put my foot down and he hit the side of the van!!! For about 10 secs we thought he was dead! We recorded a mcd, split ep with XcannaanX, and numerous other things for comps, tapes etc…
This band was my first foray into doing a band that had goals and was run more erm professionally than my others! It also provided me with my first overseas band experience and my first request for an autograph which I politely declined!

Break It Up – 2003 – 2006 – The band I should have done right after Last in Line! With mates out of Voorhees we recorded a demo that was eventually pressed on vinyl, an Lp with Dead and Gone Records and a couple of comp tracks. Played some of the best UKHC shows I’ve witnessed with a plethora of great bands. Champion, Mental, The First Step, Underdog, Sick Of It All, Insted,
7 Seconds, Annihilation Time, Municipal Waste……we even got our own back stage room when we supported SOIA ath Nottm Rock City and then preceded to steal all of SOIA’s fridge contents for the benefit of Sean! This band meant a lot because it was with friends and it was a band that I’d wanted to do for years! We had a blast doing the band, had some great memories and shows and finished at just the right time! Accomplishment wise this is the band that I had most out of and most fun with.

Sick Humour - 2008 – 2009 – Recorded a demo, played 4 shows, did a Jerrys Kids, Void, AF, Fartz covers. Our first show in Durham we managed to make at least 2 people walk out during our set. Our first Newcastle show we managed to piss off enough people to alienate us entirely from the soppy ncle hardcore scene that was around at that time! We did well! Basically this band served my pissed off emotions well and managed to alienate myself from a lot of cocks in the NE hardcore scene. Like I gave a fuck! ha

4) I know 30 seconds had a discography CD released a bit back. How did that come about and didn’t you do a reunion show?

Yes a Thirty Seconds discog cd was released due to TDON records wanting to put it out. I think initially Pete the bass player was going to compile all of the songs onto a ltd pressed cd and self release it but TDON stepped in and did it themselves. A show was organized last Dec in Leeds to celebrate and promote the cd release but I didn’t partake in it. Its kind of weird but at that moment in my musical life I just really wasn’t feeling the whole vibe around doing the show and the type of music TSUA were playing. I feel I’d moved on from that and trying to doing something that you’re not 100% into was proving too much for me. However I was replaced by Jameso (The Versus Project) who did an admirable job and the show apparently went well.


5) Are you still vegan or veggie and if so what does it mean to you? Do you think that it has become a lot less of an important issue in hardcore today? I’m saying this because at one time it was almost an unwritten rule to be veggie or vegan , at least it seemed so in the UK yet many of the people who were back then aren’t anymore.

I am Vegetarian and have been since about 91. I had a 3 year flirtation with being vegan but in all honesty I couldn’t cut out dairy products and the reverted back to being vege. I was a bad bad lazy vegan, eating junk food and generally my health suffered because of it. Saying that I hold a lot of admiration for Vegans and I wholeheartedly support a vegan or vege lifestyle. To me being vege was more important than being sxe as I felt like I was contributing to saving an animals life in my small way. I definitely think that for some people it was like a fashion statement and for others they just hung on to the words of peers and then moved on when it wasn’t cool or fashionable to be meat free. Saying that I’m a great believer that you should make your own life choices and I wouldn’t specifically preach to the unconverted however I do believe in educating people into a lifestyle that is cruelty free without trying to force their hand.




6) Like me you’re a public servant. We’ve already seen how much damage this coalition government has done in such a short amount of time and we’ve felt the wrath of the Tory twats with a pay freeze, office closures, redundancies and possible cuts to pensions and whatnot. What are your thoughts and what would be the best method of torture to carry out on David Cameron and his bitch Nick Clegg?

At present my wages have had a pay rise put on hold for 2 years which is highly unfair and also worrying with the threat of voluntary and compulsory redundancies also in the equation. I know that the govt had to do something to decrease the huge deficit that the country is currently in but by cutting jobs of ordinary folk isn’t really going to be that beneficial. They should cut the pay of the top bosses in most Government Departments and Agencies, and let these areas sort their own cost cutting out without having to resort to mass shedding employees. I think here in the North East it’s going to hit hard because the Tories were mainly responsible for getting rid of the areas core industries like coal mining and shipbuilding only for them to be replaced by the largest public sector areas in the country. Now it looks like we’ll be losing a lot of public sector work to so everything over the past 30 years has come around in one big vicious cycle. As for the best method of torture for Cameron…I’d make him watch Newcastle United in the Premier League this coming season. I want to go on record as saying I FUCKING HATE THE TORIES AND LIB DEMS! One party is evil and the other is a complete joke! I’m not saying that Labour did a great job but I’d prefer Labour over both of these blood sucking parastites!


7) Like me you’re a bit of a vinyl junkie, what Got you into collecting at such a serious level and what are your 5 main prized possessions (something tells me a couple of Misfits records may be included)?

Top 5 “prized” records –

1. Misfits – Legacy of Brutality – White/w pink streak
2. Samhain – November Coming Fire – Clear Orange
3. Gorilla Biscuits – Warzone b side
4. Negative Approach – S/t ep
5. The Fix - Jan’s Room



I’m not really sure how I started collecting at a serious level, but I guess because I didn’t have too many other vices I put my time and effort and spare cash into buying rare records I love. The whole concept of a 7 or 12” is awesome as they look far better than any digital formats. The artwork is more upfront and “alive” and nothing beats putting a record on and hearing the crackle from the vinyl as you crank the volume up. Also I think once you get the record buying bug then it’s hard to stop. I’m always on the lookout for deals or rarities or new releases that are ltd. Total consumerism but it’s something I enjoy and I look at it as an investment if need be, which hopefully it won’t but you never know. All of the records I own tell a different story whether it be about a period in my life that I can mark by a particular record or a record that have an important historical input into punk rock history.

Looking at that list I guess my Misfits and Samhain are my favourites just because of the way they look (artwork, vinyl colour etc), GB ep because I got it for £3 when it first came out not even realising how rare my version was and it brings back good memories of seeing them in 89. Negative Approach hands down is just hard! And seeing them 5 times since they reformed has been incredible. The Fix is again a hard record that rivals Neg App and also just as rare. I always look at a record as a piece of history or history about to happen whether it been on a large scale or just within my own life. Music to me is so emotive.
8) Speaking of the Misfits, explain your lifelong love of them. I got into them when I was 15 and am still a huge fan to this day. Although they weren’t the first hardcore band I ever discovered (but were among the first ones) so many people got into hardcore through them and still do today. It’s mind blowing.

My first experience of The Misfits was around 1985 and via Metallica, I managed to get a couple of songs taped by an older friend who was in the band Hellbastard but I didn’t really start collecting Misfits records until the 90’s although it would have saved me a shit load of cash if I had done it earlier! The thing is with the Misfits they were a mystical entity back in the day that not many people knew about. They have written some of the best anthemic punk tunes and some of the most raging hardcore ever. Couple that with their incredible image and lyrics and artwork and you’re onto a winner. I guess all of the above is something that kids today are still into and love. Their music alone should be good enough but with everything else added…YESSSSS!

9) What are your favourite 5 records of all time (a tough question I know) and why?

Ok my top 5 all time records:

1. Negative Approach ep – Hard, in your face, minimalist hardcore. Also the precursor to all hard bands that followed in their wake.
2. Minor Threat both eps – Fucking, the soundtrack to any straight edge beginnings. Something about Ian MacKaye that just bleeds charisma and it flies off this vinyl.
3. Poison Idea, Pick Your King ep – Fast and raw, no frills hardcore played by fatties! Looked like shit, played like gods!
4. Misfits, Earth ad – Before thrash there was the Misfits – Honestly everything about this record fucking rules. This record is raging!
5. Samhain, November Coming Fire Lp - Dark, Brooding and for about 2 months prior to Halloween, this is played on constant rotation.

I’d like to give honorable mentions to Danzig 1 – 4, Judge ep, Insted – What we believe, Slayer –Reign in Blood, Samhain – Initium, Misfits – all!!!!!!


10) Ok dude, thanks for doing this, here’s your chance to sign off and say whatever you like/)

Firstly thanks for the questions Mark, I’d only really like to say that I’ve made a number of friends through my involvement in hardcore and you being one it has been a pleasure answering the questions you sent. I’d also like to say that I wish more people were vegan or vege within the hardcore scene and not so much influenced by every other weak ass trends kicking around. Being a punk is about making powerful statements/actions and making a powerful statement like caring for other living things is one that more kids should try. If it’snot for you then so be it but at least GIVE IT A TRY!

No comments:

Post a Comment